6. Deep clean your carpets. This includes the areas under your furniture. Invest in hiring a carpet cleaner or renting an actual carpet cleaner.
7. Dust lighting fixtures and fan blades. Can you remember the last time you did this? Be sure you’re on a secure stepladder instead of a “spinny chair” to avoid hurting yourself, or get someone to help you with this task.
8. Conduct a safety inspection of your home. This is the perfect chance for you to check the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detector (especially it’s now fire season in Southern California). Invest in a fire extinguisher for your kitchen. If you already have one, make sure it has not expired and is in working order in case of an emergency.
9. Clean your child’s or grandchild’s toys. The easiest way to do this is to put the toys in a laundry bag and send them through the wash or in the dishwasher! This includes legos!
10. Clear out your closets! Take everything from the top shelves, the floor, the clothing rods. Get. It. All. Out. Recycle all wire hangers, misshapen plastic hangers and invest in better hangers so your clothes hang better, more uniformly. Decide your size this year! If you are actively engaged in weight loss regimen, then keep a few choices pieces in your desired weight category. Otherwise, do yourself a favor and let go of the clothes that no longer serve you, your body, or your sense of “I’m hot!.”